Saturday, September 16, 2023

Speechless In Venice, Day 1, August, 2023

Today was the day. After years of pining and planning, we learned how to take the TrenItalia, bought the Venice City Pass, and went to the water city of my dreams. This is the view right off the station platform. I probably don't need to tell you my tearful reaction to the Grand Canal.
Train details elude me. I was so focused on the destination. Somehow we walked to the station, we read this train schedule, bought a ticket, found the right platform.
Included in the city pass was unlimited water "bus" rides around the city. My goal the first of these 3 days was simply to soak it all in. I needed no tours, I didn't want palaces or history details. I wanted to absorb it. We spent almost 2 hours simply riding in the back of the water taxi, just looking at, well, everything. All things are done on water and there are no cars. That means ambulances, taxis, police, fire, deliveries and all the workings of a city are done on and around the canal. Chuck got some great photos of DHL, Amazon, and all the infastructure moving around the water. I hope I didn't have my mouth hanging open as much as I think I did.
I was also taken by the shape of windows and details on the edges of buildings. On the 3rd full trip around this route, Chuck saw tables open for lunch near the Rialto bridge so we hopped off. It was drizzling, but there were patio umbrellas.
This was the actual name of the restaurant, but I think most people were looking out at the water. We had bruschetta, pasta, and tirimisu.
Chuck says I glowed for the whole day. I took this picture from his facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who's been to Visit?