Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Italy 2023, Aosta Valley continued

I had a friend who wanted to know about the FOOD, so many of my pictures are of the cuisine of the trip. I'm imagining that you would like to see and hear about them too. Aosta is known for the invention of Fontina cheese and has a very particular wine produced here, so we tried both. Chuck had carbonara, and my dish was a puff pastry with mushrooms, in a Fontina sauce. Mine was divine, and I didn't have time to taste Chuck's. It was gone in a flash. The wine was lighter than a cabernet, very pretty color, and also...gone fast.
The town was charming, lit up at dusk after dinner, and I had my first gelato of the trip less than 24 hours after arriving. Woot, it was worth the wait!
I tried coffee gelato every time it was available, and also had pistachio this time. Chuck was very fond of the lemon everytime. You choose cup or cone, and what size (how many scoops) you'd like. Most of the time, 2 scoops was more than plenty for me, and cost around 3 euros. The Arch of Augustus in the city piazza was erected in 25 BCE. It was on the Appian Way, basically the 2048 year old Roman super highway. The Romans used this as a major travel highway for their military and to move goods across Europe. The Arch is huge and in great condition. I don't believe many things we make today will last 2000+ years. Maybe? Pictures don't do it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who's been to Visit?