Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Preaching to myself, Part 2

I had read all the Reader's Digest, self help books, and magazine lists of reducing stress. I knew the yoga, deep breathing, eat well, drink water, slow down, sleep, laughter is good medicine, get away suggestions ad nausium. The real issue for me was that part of my job had become BORING!

I am not just in it for the money. I was surprised actually to read that near 30 percent of people have said that they are looking for something that gives them the chance to make a difference. Also, a lack of growth opportunities was not a good fit for me either. I felt trapped in a position with little room for newness.

As I gave this presentation on burnout yesterday, so many people were nodding in agreement. I felt the weight of "same old same oldness" around many of the necks. I also felt a tremendous amount of fear in the unknown. "What if'" abounded.

How could I suggest in this economy that perhaps they look for a different job? I passionately implored them that there no better time to pursue your happiness and LIFE than right now. We shared a few specific items that pertain to teacher frustrations. I gave them a lot of questions to think about.

In my own position, taxes and cleaning were two frustrations. I decided that as a professional that I needed to hire professionals. This has been very liberating for me. I take one more student per month than I used to and it pays for the housecleaner. And part of it is tax deductible.

At the end of the session, I asked them what they had expected when they came. One woman said that she had hoped to get the answers. Do this and this and you won't have burnout. I only gave her more questions. This seems to be a hot topic right now. Another teacher in the state is delivering a similar seminar in April in St. Paul. At our state convention in June, Dr. Maurice Hinson will give a seminar for 2 hours on the same topic. I look forward to hearing them.

"Art is only a means to life, to the life more abundant. It is not in itself the life more abundant. It merely point the way, something which is overlooked no only by the public, but very often by the artist himself. In becoming an end, it defeat itself." Henry Miller, American Novelist

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it points the way. Sometimes you (I) just have to step off the edge of the cliff and yell "YEEEEEEE" all the way down. It may not be an easier road but it can be more fullfilling.

    ReplyDelete

Who's been to Visit?