Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Pity the Meek for They Shall Inherit the Earth

This quote by Don Marquis met me when I went online this morning. Needing more clarity on "meek", I was directed to these definitions:
1. humble in spirit or manner; suggesting retiring mildness or even cowed submissiveness; "meek and self-effacing"
2. very docile; "tame obedience"; "meek as a mouse"- Langston Hughes
3. evidencing little spirit or courage.
Then I went to a Bible Study where we discussed the holy Thursday event of Jesus washing feet. I work with children every day and tell them, "You are my future! I'm so glad".
Do all of these ideas live in harmony or in tension with each other?

3 comments:

  1. I think the word I question is pity, or inherit, or shall, or...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think more and more that we should pity anybody - meek or not - who are to inherit this earth

    ReplyDelete

Who's been to Visit?