Monday, April 20, 2009

I Was Scaling Along



My blocks came out again today. I am teaching and we're reviewing scales, chords, and arpeggios for our upcoming exams and guild auditions. I love the lightbulb moments when students "get it". And today there was another one-did you feel a disturbance in the force?

She knew D Major. We have worked out Db Major before. But today, spelling them out with blocks was when it hit her-they are photo negatives of each other! I like to refer to this as the "Magic 7" rule-the number of sharps and flats will always add up to seven! The scales also mirror each other in color on the piano keyboard.
C=0 plus Cb=7
D=2 plus Db=5
E=4 plus Eb=3
F=1 plus F#=6
G=1 plus Gb=6
A=3 plus Ab=4
B=5 plus Bb=2
I loved figuring that out one day when I was a kid. I sat there, "Doh!" Why hadn't anyone told me this sooner-it makes it so much easier! Well, now you know...

2 comments:

  1. I don't know that much about the intricacies of music, but seeing the visual even I get the photo negative deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris! Your blocks are so cool, like musical scrabble.

    Looking forward to seeing the new sculpture come together.

    Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete

Who's been to Visit?