Monday, April 6, 2009

Monday Vocabulary Words

Today was a day full of learning new music words. I seemed to have a question every lesson about something in the score. Last year, I wrote a matching game for my young ones, written in words they might understand. I've un-scrambled them for you here. Feel free to scramble them back up and use it at your studio!

Memory- I can play it from my heart, without the book.
Accuracy- I can play without too many note mistakes.
Notation- Sometimes the same as accuracy. I aced the notes, rhythms, and the special details like staccatos and fortes.
Rhythm- I’ve got the beat.
Tempo- I went the speed that the composer liked.
Steadiness- I stayed at the speed the composer liked
Technique- My fingers are strong and curvy.
Tone Quality- I “spoke up” through the piano; people could hear my playing in the back of the room.
Articulation- The little extras like staccatos and accents that make the song alive.
Balance- My melody was standing in front; my chords or the rest of the piece was sitting behind my melody.
Dynamics- I played LOUD and quiet and in between so the audience could hear the difference.
Phrasing- I breathed at the end of the musical sentences. Holding my breath is too hard!
Ritardando- Sometimes shortened to rit., it means Woah, slow down here.
Stage Presence- I had fun and was proud to play. I took a bow and smiled at the audience. I looked and sounded GOOOOOOD!
Style- I made my mom cry or my dad dance, I made the piece come alive.

1 comment:

  1. Those are great definitions, Chris. I love the humor of "Tempo- I went the speed that the composer liked. Steadiness- I stayed at the speed the composer liked" "Phrasing" & "Stage Presence" were also favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Who's been to Visit?