Thursday, January 29, 2009

"Quilted Northern" Deck


I have noticed myself singing everywhere lately-I used to do this as a child, along with the radio, in the car, on the swingset. I have to believe it was annoying to other family members, so there was a rule about no singing at the dinner table. I find myself singing again. I'll let you know what it means when I figure out why. As I taught today, I noticed myself humming, singing, or worse yet, making my students sing with me! There's nothing quite as wonderful to me as teaching a phrase by breathing in and singing through it. It incorporates deep breathing and listening at the same time. Sort of yoga Brahms? Tai chi Bach?

We tend to breathe shallowly or even hold our hold our breath when we are feeling anxious. Sometimes we are not even aware of it. Shallow breathing limits oxygen intake and adds further stress to the body. No wonder our music rehearsals are often referred to as weekly therapy. We're singing loud and breathing well.

About 9:30 this morning, I looked out at my deck and it had such a 3-d effect, snow and shadow, that I just had to snap a picture. I am NO photographer. I wish I was. Maybe a photo art class someday? It was bright and sunny inside and out today.
fa la la da doo doo doot....

1 comment:

  1. I had a teacher who used to say that the two most important things to do every day were: sing and do something that makes you sweat.

    I believe it. Though I'm not great at it, I take great pleasure in singing. It opens my throat, helps me breathe and makes me happy. So glad to hear that you're singing, too. Bravo!!

    Love the snow "quilt."

    ReplyDelete

Who's been to Visit?