Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Spring Events-a Logistic Circus

(Get ready to watch the pond green up with me!)
I am in the throws of preparing students for the last events of the school year. I would like to think I'm organized about all of the due dates, exam dates, the students and their repertoire, but this year I'm not so sure. I am also writing and searching the dates for next year's events calendar for a presentation I'm giving in May. It will be geared toward newer teachers who may want a little help sorting all these same events out. But right now, I don't feel like I have much to offer them. I could use a handy dandy lesson plan too. How should I get it all organized? How do I get it all done and have the students succeed?

I narrowed down the many theory dates to just 2 this year: January or April. I also said to the students that do the state piano exam that we would use only the new site. I had my students obtain their own duet music over spring break. I'm the chair of Guild Auditions, so I could choose the dates for this.

I currently have 28 students, in many of these events, but not all in all of them. My first teacher had 95 students. Yes, you read that correctly-95. She was the breadwinner for her family while her husband was home and becoming a famous architect. I see her and catch up annually at the conventions and I've asked her how in the world she kept track of everyone. "A spiral notebook", was her answer, with a shrug.

With the advent of Google calendars, Excel spreadsheets and Windows/Macs in general, shouldn't this have gotten easier? Websites offer online registrations versus paper too. But I guess it's because I don't use all the programs for all the kids. Maybe I'll make a Google calendar and set up a wiki for it. I don't think there's one out there yet, so if you know of one, shout out!

So I see this as a 3-fingered issue. One is the teacher moving through the systems of registrations and events. The second is knowing what is good for each student, and moving them in the right direction to get there. The third issue is the teacher organizing, teaching, and disseminating the information so that the student learns the material, is properly prepared and on time.

Where's my support staff, my team lead, or executive assistant? OK, enough complaining, where's my coffee and my pen? I'm getting out my spiral notebook. (PS, I luv luv luv this stage-let's prepare them for playing with the orchestra too, kay?)

3 comments:

  1. Yep. Totally agree with you. It can be a maze. It's gotten tons more complicated for me with contest, honors concert, and new website coming for MMTA! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, and I heard that we don't get Northrop next year because of their remodeling. Any word yet on where the HC might be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The state has to fund the project if they are going to remodel, so we'll have to wait and see what happens. We are probably going to have to split the concert into 2 concerts on the same day - one early afternoon and one evening. Not looking forward to it. We have no place as of yet.

    ReplyDelete

Who's been to Visit?