Saturday, January 8, 2011

"When it Rains, It Pours"?


I'm having an incredibly trying, tantrum evoking, kick off to 2011. When I have exasperatedly and dramatically expounded on my many disasters over the course of a few days, several people (read 7 and counting!) have chosen the phrase, "when it rains, it pours!"

What a funny, curious thing to say. I wonder where it came from? I found a GoEnglish.com website that had the above cute graphic and said, "it hasn't happened in a long time, and then it happens all at once." It then sighted some examples of how to use the idiom correctly. But what I was really hoping for with my blathering on and on was a more philosophical discussion of why. Why now? The age of the furnace and the refrigerator are not the same or are they old. Are the car and the electrical box on some sort of electro-magnetic wavelength with each other so that they both decide to fail within 20 minutes of each other?

Some have suggested that the latest lunar eclipse was going to bring some cataclysmic appetizers as our world comes to an end. It arrived on the Winter Solstice. This hasn't happened since 1638. I mean, Bach wasn't even born until 1685; it's a long time inbetween events! We were still in the Renaissance period. I can see how it might be worrysome, given how rare it is.

One person thought that the origin of the phrase "when it rains, it pours" was from the Morton Salt company, who used it with their girl and umbrella very successfully. I could not find out whether they invented it or simply used it.

I think that there is not a reason for everything, and that sometimes things just happen. And yes, it had been awhile since things around here broke down, but I'm starting to feel a bit picked on. Any explanations of the "When it rains, it pours" would be greatly appreciated.


This matches my current out of control mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who's been to Visit?