Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Policies Retooled, Part 2

Having created a more true to self policy, I offer it for you to review now. I crafted my sheet and sent it with this month's statement. Here's a copy. This is a lot different than many legal versions. I wonder whether this is "fluffy" or going to be problematic; I guess I'll find out soon enough. It certainly is not what I used to believe was the essence of a well girded and guarded studio policy.

TUITION –Regular Lessons run Sept.-May, fees are monthly, 30, 45, or 60 minutes.

PAYMENT OF FEES – Payable for the month in advance of lessons, make checks payable to Wolf Piano Studio. Statements are sent at the end of the month to show activity on your account. A $20.00 overdue fee per family will be charged to accounts not paid in full by the 15th of each month, because that's what my bank charges me. Please tell me if financial needs arise. I have barter options.

ABSENCES - We will be fair to each other and be professional. If I am going to miss your lesson, I will credit your account or find a make-up time. I do not give credit or make up lessons when you are absent as a general rule. Of course, emergencies happen. Please do me the courtesy of a telephone call or email; I will worry if you’re not here.

STUDIO – Be respectful of my home and the neighborhood. Some ideas while you wait might include: check your homework, read a music magazine, or listen to a variety of CDs. I highly encourage you to use the computer center, games, and the Clavinova (keyboard with over 600 sounds).

LESSON TERMINATION – We will come to an agreement that is amenable and caring. Most times, people have courteously given at least a one month paid notice.

PRACTICE –This is the key to improvement. Practice on the days you eat. There’s no better way to say it. A set schedule that includes practice at the same time every day, perhaps after dinner, or before school is best. Some weeks there will be more to practice, other weeks will be less. When you come to lessons, you have entered “NO EXCUSE” land. Do not apologize for less than adequate practice. We will work together on the things that did get better.

VISITS - Parents are always welcome to sit in on lessons.

RECITALS – Sharing our music is a joy when we are ready and comfortable. At least 2 performance opportunities inhouse will be available to each student per school year. Contests, theory, festivals, and end of year Guild auditions are also available. Performances at nursing homes, malls, etc. are encouraged.

TEACHER RESPONSIBILITY - * Nurture a positive atmosphere for learning. * Provide varied performance opportunities. * Set short and long-term goals for each student. * A dedication to your piano development.
* Maintain quality instruments at the studio * Further her teaching skills by belonging to professional organizations, attending workshops and educational programs, reading professional publications, and engaging in other activities leading to her continued growth.

So, am I growing in maturity or "getting soft"?

2 comments:

  1. That is the kind of policy statement I had when I was teaching - firm rules, stated pleasantly. The most important thing about a policy statement is that it pretty much defines your working conditions as a self employed person so it needs to represent you accurately. Sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part is "Please tell me if financial needs arise. I have barter options."

    ReplyDelete

Who's been to Visit?