Thursday, November 12, 2009

Theme Thursday - TELEPHONE


Technology is a good thing. This must be stated up front and I want to be perfectly clear that I own digital keyboards, a digital camera, a laptop and a cell phone. But I also find myself tormented by all sorts of technology in regard to teaching classical piano.

Long ago, I took the TELEPHONE and the computer out of my office. I was limiting the noises so that we could really listen. Any call that came in was not as important as the student with me. Computers have a fan noise that is annoying to me. (My latest annoyance has to do with a halogen hum by trying to go more environmentally friendly, but that's another post.)

But now students are bringing distractions into the lesson with them. Blackberries, iPhones, cell phones-the list is long. Cell phones ring during lessons, recitals, or competitions. I have made a relatively new change that they leave them on the coffee table in the fireplace room. If I remind them, it's working.

I am starting to believe preliminary data pointing to reduced attention spans from not only television but video games. But again, this is another post idea.

Perhaps as soon as I mention a "simpler" time, of land lines, and acoustic concerts, I am labeling and distancing myself from my students, or you. But as you listen to Jim Croce, and see that he doesn't have a backup band, psychedelic uTube presentation, or hype, it gives you a chance to really listen. I think really listening is such a gift.


16 comments:

  1. yup, i see the limited attention spans in my kids...even in myself sometimes. Love the Croce, wish he had been around to write another hundred songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when Jim Croce died - he had a great voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful song selection chris! limited attention span..yep, this next generation has it in spades...keeps me on my toes during a 3 hour counseling session though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right about really listening being a gift...perhaps that is something your students will learn from you in addition to their music.

    Happy Theme Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No one should ever drop everything they are doing to answer the phone -- unless, of course, you are expecting a call that you WANT to receive. I'm always amazed at the number of people who will let the person with them cool their heels while they answer a call from someone else. That's awfully rude. And you are right about the noises -- today some phones make horrible rackets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed the song! Totally agree with your thoughts here, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it was a much better time before all of this technology.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Jim Croce's music. Another one to leave the planet entirely too soon. A number of years ago while in San Diego, a friend took us to a little jazz bar where aspiring musicians honed their skills. It was one of the places Croce played frequently. This was only a couple of years after his death and I could still feel his energy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ronda, I've been to that place just last year. It still feels like his energy is there!

    Don't you just want to wrap your finger through that cord above? I used to talk on the phone in the kitchen and see how many times and ways I could wrap it around my finger, my hand, my shoe...

    ReplyDelete
  10. And I just remembered-last week I used my mom's phone and thought "how strange to be connected to the wall like this..."

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ALMOST posted the song "Telephone Hour" from Bye Bye Birdie-what a great one! But I'll confess a most ridiculous aspect. I couldn't find a recording where the singers were in tune!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are way too ever-present, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we should recall the simpler times of smoke signals and carrier pigeons. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm trying to think how long it's been since I've been somewhere where there was no sound of technology.

    I'm trying to think if I EVER have?

    ReplyDelete
  15. You said it! And said it all very well...bravo! down with the noisy fans and please please please phones have their place but not in the public air space!

    ReplyDelete
  16. There really are too many noise distractions aren't there? I long for silence again.

    ReplyDelete

Who's been to Visit?