Saturday, September 16, 2023

Arrivederci, Venice

I had always said I wanted to see Venice before it "sank into the sea" and there was evidence that they are trying hard not to let that happen. For example, the Caffe Florian was highly touted as a tourist must stop. We walked by the Oldest Italian Coffeehouse, but we didn't actually go in. It's gorgeous even from the sidewalk. People from Charles Dickens, Nietzsche, Casanova, Ernest Hemingway, Charlie Chaplin, to Andy Warhol had drinks here. Rumor says that Claude Monet would charm the flock of pigeons to stand on his head.
Looking closer, there are supports and braces for the roof everywhere. After seeing all the platforms disruptions of the rain, I was concerned. But I also see construction and work being done everywhere. The art and the history are too important. I hope that it will survive forever. The contemporary art scene appears to thrive right next to the renaissance pieces.
It was a magical experience. I'm so lucky I got to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who's been to Visit?